Wednesday, February 28, 2007

GREEN! GREEN! GREEN!

It is 12:05am and I probably should be sleeping but I just had to pen this article. I was just watching a episode of Penn and Tellers Bullshit ( a wonderful show with a unfortunate tendency to bias on occasion but at least it’s the opposing view of things people take for granted)

I just watched a show about Environmental Hysteria. Well, I say watched. I got to about half way before I realized that I have the same type of ideals as the beloved Peoples Action Party of Singapore even though I used to be against it.

Those who know me would certainly ask why. And to this I would say that I am firmly in favor of protests requiring a police permit because unless these people knew exactly what they are in favor of are protesting for they are seriously causing a disruption to everyday life for the rest of the citizens.

To put it simply, the show interviewed a lady called Julia Butterfly Hill. A woman who once spent two years up a Redwood tree in an effort to prevent it from being cut down. She succeeded and all the more power to her I say considering the age of the tree and I am not one who dislikes natures own relics. Mind you, I’d be thinking of it more in terms of showing the need for more effective government but it’s a two way thing.

What caused me to stop the set was her saying and I quote “I would never take something from life that I don’t need”. All the while sitting there in well, normal modern clothing, wearing a chain around her neck with a butterfly pendant on it and earrings.

Now most of you would say “So what?” Well, think of this for a moment. That bloody pendant required the bloody raw material out of the earth somewhere. Someone is mining for that ore. Someone else is then further refining, smelting that ore and thereupon it gets sent to or bought by the various craftsmen who shape the raw material into the desired shape and then colour it with further chemicals and pigmentation. As for the chain she used, either that was plastic with bits of bead threaded through or just all plastic. Either way, aren’t plastics bad for the environment? Wouldn’t a real environmentalist then actually all wear pretty much the same drab utilitarian clothing so that as little industry is used and its not environmentally affecting anything? Wouldn’t they stop using, buying or creating extra demands for all that electronic equipment they use at rallies. All that face paint they eventually wash up and make it enter into the water supply where it has to get filtered again or all those trees that died for those freaking paper mache dolls or masks or whatever the fuck.

And the message is confusing as heck too. First they want to shut down or stop the big corporations because they’re damaging the environment and then they say the reason they do that is because if the environment deteriorates, industries will fail and then people will lose their jobs and anarchy will spread. Um??? I really wshould advertise this blog more cause I wish someone could answer these freaking questions! Logically!

2 comments:

Ling;) said...

LOL!!! maybe she needs it to FEEL beautiful, whilst saving trees..

even though she's all green and all... she's still a woman ya know and she prolly wants to feel confident and stuff..

*shrugs*

and if you are wondering... this is NOT a bimbotic reply!

lol

Voodoo Child said...

Haha... thanks for leaving a Comment =) well, my argument was flawed as pointed out by a friend as I was attacking the person not the stance. Oh well, it was midnight.