Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Codex Sinaiticus

Doing research on the various Bible types. There is no doubt that the most literally translated Bible is Young's Literal Translation. However, even a cursory examination of it showed that the wording was way too arcane to be trifled with but it reads well. All the chapters (biblegateway.com) read well. Arcane sounding but with good english and thought it works. Well.. after a fashion but I'll be mogadored if I know what Ghenna of fire is.

Kings James is of course the preferred Standard and it seems that version is the most quoted one. The other suggested new life versions were of course easier to understand but I feel the chance of altered message is still there and so I shall probably go with the 21st Century King James. If I need help I'll use Bible gateway for the E-Z-Read Bible as they seem like.


I've been doing research on the oldest bible. The Codex Sinaiticus. The text is the oldest surviving Biblical text. Split into 4 parts and with the British Museum holding the majority of pieces thay are coordinating with the other piece holders (in Russia) to make a digital translation. Good luck to them. I post this because of the significance. Both the Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus omit the word "without cause" in Matthew 5:22. A very very significant change. The old one says any man angry with his brother is in danger of some serious judgement, council or hellfire. Can't imagine what judgement is or Council but my guess is smiting than stoning respectively. Older one doesn't have the "safety net" of "without cause" Interesting ommission... or addition as it were.

No comments: